Static Bag Testing Services
Because electronic components are growing smaller and more sensitive, it is vital to be sure they’re protected from ESD events such as static discharge. As stated in ANSI/ESD S20.20, “Protective packaging is required to store, transport, and protect ESDS electronic items during all phases of production.” Per the newer 2018 requirements for ANSI/ESD S541, the shielding requirement was changed such that additional discharge for the bags should be less than 20 nanojoules. The Pink Poly bag is one of the more common low charging bags. The bags are made with a tinted polyethylene material and an antistatic coating which can wear away. Over time, this makes the bag an insulator, thus it’s no longer compliant to ANSI/ESD S541 recommendations. These bags also lack discharge shielding protection which makes components inside the bag susceptible to ESD event damage. Metallized Shielding bags are constructed from a metalized polyester film and a low charging polyethylene laminate. This provides SCS bags with a shielding layer that creates a Faraday cage thus protecting the ESD-sensitive components in the bag from possible ESD event damage. The low charging inner layer and outer layers of the bag prevent tribocharging from occurring, limiting the buildup of ESD charges when handling components.
Have you ever been asked about the shelf life of ESD bags by your quality manager? Perhaps it is an internal quality procedure being written and you want to know the manufacturer’s thoughts on the shelf life of ESD packaging. Well today we’ll discuss the topic of ESD Static Control bag storage and how it relates to expected shelf life. There are 1000’s of variations to consider when discussing shelf life. Heat, storage rack conditions, transportation method, and local climate just to name a few, so the points to take away are this:
- Avoid extremes: Hot, cold, sunlight, moisture, add controls when possible
- In a controlled environment, our ESD bags have seen a proven shelf life of 5 years.
- As a best practice, follow the FIFO process for inventory control.
- ESD static bag manufacturers that we represent warranty the product for a period of 1 year from the date of purchase. You need to audit yearly or prior to use as a best practice and to be sure that your devices are receiving maximum protection.
- If bags are questionable, recycle the bags at your local recycler and order a new lot from Restronics Northland.